7 Terrible Things for Your Air Conditioner
In just a matter of weeks, winter will be coming to an end and sunny spring will arrive, which means the it may be time to start putting your AC system to use fairly soon. However, before you start relying on it on a daily basis, just as your doing for your heater in the winter, it’s time to make some changes. These are 7 things that you need to stop doing to your air conditioner. Fail to do so, and you may be paying big bucks for new AC installation in Littleton.
- Forgetting to Change Your Air Filters – Imagine breathing dust bunnies and handfuls of dirt straight into your lungs. That’s basically what you’re doing to your AC system when you forget to change the filters on a regular basis. Change them every 1 to 3 months.
- Neglecting Annual Services – You should have your AC system inspected at least twice a year. Should you neglect AC maintenance, you’ll miss out on catching subtle AC problems early, and they can explode into system-destroying issues.
- Not Cleaning the Unit – Order this as part of your semiannual service. Air conditioners can develop very dirty coils and fins, which can make your system run inefficiently. While an AC technician will clean the unit if it’s very dirty, it doesn’t help to have them clean it regardless of its condition.
- Not Using a Programmable Thermostat – AC installation professionals can upgrade your home with a programmable thermostat, which will rely on custom settings to adjust the AC’s usage, saving you money and saving your AC from doing unnecessary work.
- Over-Using Your AC – Are you sometimes so cold in your home that you’re wearing a blanket or a jacket, and yet the sun is blazing outside? If you’re setting your thermostat too low, you are cutting your AC system’s life span short.
- Not Using Your Fans – Ceiling fans are much less complex than AC units and can have a much longer life span. So why not put them to work? If you’re only slightly warm indoors, just turn on a fan instead of lowering the temperature on your AC unit.
- Keeping the Windows Open – If you care at all about your wallet, block the sunlight. Tint, blinds, and curtains prevent the sun’s hot rays from baking your home. Remember, the more you use your AC, the shorter its life span, and you’ll need new AC installation in Littleton before long.