Science and technology play a crucial role in today’s scenario. New advancements in the field of science have a great impact on your life in terms of convenience and feasibility. Nowadays natural gas has emerged as one of the most important sources of fuel and various kinds of materials and chemicals can be made from natural gas.
Natural gas is a fossil fuel and it is formed deep under the earth’s surface. It is a mixture of different kinds of gases like methane, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, etc. The main component of natural gas is Methane (CH4) which has one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms. Natural gas is colorless and odorless in its pure form and it is a non-renewable source of energy.
Formation of Natural Gas
Natural gas is formed by the decomposition of the remains of plants and animals which remain buried for millions of years under the surface of the earth and oceans. As time passed, they remain buried under the rocks and sand. Due to the impact of heat and pressure, the organic matter is converted into hydrocarbons and as result coal, oil and natural gas were formed.
Processing of Natural Gas
In order to be sold and consumed natural gas needs to be processed because along with methane it also contains ethane, propane, butane, water vapor and even sulfur, helium, nitrogen, hydrogen sulfide and carbon dioxide which need to be separated from Natural gas before selling to the consumers.
Natural gas which is produced and processed needs to be distributed to the consumers and this is possible with the help ofnatural gas distribution companies like https://www.novaspect.com/ which serves a million consumers.
Location of Natural Gas
Finding proper location of natural gas is very important. In some areas, natural gas creeps into big cracks and empty spaces between layers of rocks. This is referred to as conventional natural gas but in some places, natural gas is found in small pores called tight gas or unconventional natural gas.
Huge deposits of natural gas can be found on land and as well as deep under the sea. Geologists who undergo a study of the earth are able to search the location of natural gas. Wells having natural gas can be drilled to obtain the gas. The gas obtained is put into pipelines and sent to natural gas processing plants.
Uses of Natural Gas
- Electric power – The main use of natural gas is the generation of electric power.
- Industrial sector – In the industrial sector natural gas is used for the production of chemicals and fertilizers.
- Residential area – In the residential sector natural gas is used for the purpose of cooking and drying clothes and also for heating water.
- Commercial use – Natural gas is used to operate refrigeration, for cooling the equipment, to cook and to supply outdoor lighting.
- Transportation sector – It is used for the operation of compressors and as a vehicle fuel in the form of compressed natural gas and liquefied natural gas.
Natural gas has low price as compared to coal and it helps in reducing pollution and minimizing global warming and thereby improving public health and environmental benefits.